Friday 5 December 2008

Top 5 Gigs of 2008

1. Mostly Autumn (see entry below)
Andy told me this band were good a few years ago and I've listened to Catch The Spirit - The Complete Anthology several times. Its taken a long time for my first encounter and they were superb.

2. Black Stone Cherry at Fibbers on June 25th
Fitted between gigs as support to Whitesnake & Def Leppard on tour. Their crew spent about 30 minutes in a soundcheck and it paid off as both vocals and instruments were the clearest I've heard in this venue. Great heavy rock show from a band on the up.

3. The Yards at the Post Office Club on April 10th
A York band I've seen several times and were better for being in this venue. Today they were without their keyboard player and as a result their sound was heavier.

4. Jim Gipson & the Runaway Sons at the Duchess on August 8th
First time I saw this band was at The Yards gig above and Jim's voice caught my attention. As headliners they impressed again and I bought the CD.

5. Breathing Space (see entry below)
On a recommendation I'd seen them before and they didn't do it for me, so I was in two minds whether to bother. Glad I did as they were so much better.

No comments: